I thought I would share some photos from my first foray in 2014, Yes I have been allowed out of the house!And who would not want to be out and about on such a lovely January morning following so many weeks of wind and rain.
Ironically the rivers are still rising though.
So I thought I would enjoy my 50mm prime lens which is a real beauty and a challenge to use. It is great in dark churches with it's maximum f1.4 aperture meaning it has a greater light gathering capacity than most lens.
This also means you can restrict the depth of focus, this is where the challenge comes in, to emphasise what you want to be in focus and what you don't.
The lens also has a wonderful bokeh, which refers to what is called the 'circles of confusion', an effect manifested in soft out of focus areas within the blurred background. The size and shape of the bokeh is determined by the lens, depending on the shape of the aperture blades that it contains.
This effect is very noticeable in wider aperture lens such as the 50mm or in longer focal length lenses such as a 200mm.
Anyway that's enough technical stuff. I just wanted to have fun and was stangely drawn to the more darker areas of the wood where I took advantage of small pockets of light to highlight texture and colour.
It all turned out to be all rather abstract really.
© Andrew Boschier Photography 2014

No comments:
Post a Comment