Wednesday, 21 January 2015
My Favourite Landscape Image of the Week
This week I thought that I would feature something quite different, an urban landscape. Who said that landscape photography was all about the countryside. If you live in the South East of England and reasonably close to London such as I do, the options for stunning landscapes close to home are a little more limited.
You could be subtle with muted colours but the images really come alive when you go for a more gritty and grungy look. For me I love the south bank, which offers huge possibilities for variety and I personally think that the Thames skyline to be one of the best in the world.
This time to add a little more to the images, the plan was to sign up for a night shoot with some fellow photographers. There is a whole new dimension to photographing London at night, the colours are more vibrant and nearly all the major landmarks are lit.
As you will be using long exposures a tripod is essential, but the slow shutter speeds lends to some interesting effects if people walk through the frame. They will either not register at all or else appear as ghostly apparitions. Moving vehicles are also good for creativity as they can provide light trails and streaks through the image.
The image I have chosen was a view from the north side of Westminster Bridge across to the old County Hall and the London Eye. For this the camera was set on manual, the aperture chosen was f8 to give reasonable depth of focus and for the lens to gives its best. Shutter speeds were varied around the 15 - 20 sec mark, with a quick check on the back of camera required to confirm the ideal speed. As the lights were mainly tungsten based, a custom white balance was dialled in under the K setting, choosing a temperature of 2500K.
It was a great evening out with everybody capturing stunning images including my partner Cathy who really excelled herself.
© Andrew Boschier Photography 2015
http://www.andrewboschierphotography.co.uk
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment